Many many times over the history of the comic, Dave would abruptly stop one storyline and shift to another. These are often used as methods of Stalling for an upcoming Holiday Party, because Dave needs more time to figure out where the "A Storyline" is going to go, or simply because he gets bored with the current storyline and wants to do something else.
Known Storyline ShiftsEdit
- April 21, 2000: The Mega Man backstory storyline is abruptly interrupted when Dave realizes that he missed his self-imposed deadline of April 15th for the Hand-Drawn comic, and shifts to Mega Man walking out of the comic, which would lead to the Author's arrival and him taking Mega Man's place.
- June 11, 2000: After the first go at the Hand-Drawn comic fizzled, the Hand-Drawn Storyline was interrupted as the Sprite Comic was brought back.
- June 21, 2000: The The Return to the Beginning storyline is interrupted by the The Attack of the Yellow Demon storyline.
- October 12, 2000: After the second and final failure of the hand-drawn comic, the Sprite Comic returned permanently. The Not Again storyline was used as filler, which ultimately led into the Just Another Day storyline.
- June 28, 2001: After the The Second Megaman Game storyline, Dave was feeling burned out, and didn't want to start something complex leading into the fourth of July, so he made the The Author's Breakdown storyline to interrupt the Back in the Future storyline. After the fourth of July comic, though, he would go right into Tales from a Parallel Universe 3.
- September 2, 2001: As things are picking up at the end of Another Coffee Break, the story cuts away to Tales From a Parallel Universe 4.
- February 17, 2002: The storyline shifts away from the past (The Third Megaman Game) to catch back up with what's happening in the present. This is a brief cutaway, as it's right back to The Third Megaman Game two strips later.
- March 12, 2002: After Mega Man's "battle" with Shadow Man, the comic cuts to Tales From a Parallel Time to reveal what happened to Bob after the battle with Mynd.
- June 13, 2002: After the revelation that there was more than one Doctor Wily, the comic cuts away to The Cataclysm Flashback, which reveals where the Author went after disappearing from the future in the In The Year 21XX storyline.
- May 18, 2003: After Mega Man defeated Dust Man, the story cut away from The Fourth Megaman Game, Part 3 to Non Sequitur.